News & Events
- Striving for innovation through excellence, we have professors who are world-changers!
- We are thrilled to announce that the winner of the Chancellor's Gold Medal this year is Dickson Wong (4th year Electrical & Biomedical Engineering). This award is granted to McMaster's undergraduate student in his or her final year who ranks highest in scholarship, leadership and influence. An outstanding achievement! Congratulations!!
- Dr. Ali Emadi has been selected as the founding Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transaction on Transportation Electrification (TTE). This is the flagship journal of the IEEE Transportation Electrification Initiative.
- The Faculty of Engineering has chosen Dr. Nicola Nicolici as "Distinguished Engineering Educator". Congratulations Nicola on this wonderful recognition!
- Three Engineering professors have been recognized by the Faculty as "Distinguished Engineering Professors" - and two of these three are in ECE! Congratulations to Dr. Xiaolin Wu and Dr. Thia Kirubarajan!
- We have some exceptional educators in our department! Based on the undergraduate teaching evaluations, the following instructors are on the Dean's Teaching Honour Roll: Dr. Shiva Kumar (Eng 2MM3), Dr. Max Wong (Elec Eng 4TK4), for 2 courses Dr. Nicola Nicolici (Comp Eng 3DQ5 and Comp Eng 4DS4), and both Dr. Steve Hranilovic and Dr. Xun Li for Elec Eng 4OI6. Congratulations to you all!
- Dr. Shahram Shirani has been inducted as a Faculty Leadership Fellow under the Faculty of Engineering's new Faculty Leadership Program. Congratulations Shahram!
- Dr. Jamal Deen has been elected as the next president of The Academy of Science of the Royal Society of Canada! Congratulations Jamal on this very high honour.
- ECE students Ephrem Chemali and Lucas McCurlie won 2nd place in the 2014 MATLAB and Simulink Design Challenge with their battery balancing project! Congratulations!
- Dr. Shahin Sirouspour has been awarded an NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement in this year's NSERC Discovery competition. Congratulations!
- Tom Luo, Adjunct Professor and former Chair of ECE, has been elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. Many of us have been inspired by Tom's research insights and his astute mentorship. Congratulations on this richly deserved honour!
- The Dean of Engineering has established three types of honorific Chairs which recognize excellence within the faculty. Of the 7 positions awarded, 3 have been awarded to ECE faculty members! Thia Kirubarajan and Xiaolin Wu were selected as Distinguished Engineering Professors, and Nicola Nicolici was selected as the Distinguished Engineering Educator. Congratulations on receiving this prestigious recognition!
- Dr. John Bandler has been awarded the 2014 Faculty of Engineering Research Achievement Award in recognition of his pioneering work on optimization-based approaches to computer-aided design, and the impact this work has had in applications such as microwave communication systems and vehicular safety. Congratulations!
- It is our pleasure to announce that our Industry Professor, Dr. Hassan Kojori, has been elevated to IEEE Fellow effective Jan 1, 2014, for his "contributions to the design and application of predictive and diagnostic algorithms in power electronics converters". Congratulations!
- A new building for Engineering! Construction is expected to take place Spring 2015 to July 2016 for the ExCEL Building - Engineering Centre of Experimental Learning. Thanks to many financial donors, including alumnus Gerald Hatch who gifted the final $3 million.
Connect with ECE
See us on Flickr!
Find out about the many Engineering activities:
What are the "Red Suits"?
Download the ECE Brochure
If you are an undergrad and have questions, check the Current Undergrads page, the UG Advising page, or the FAQ's page for all of your answers.