News & Events
- A paper written by Dr. Ian Bruce, Laurel Carney (Adjunct Professor) and Muhammad Zilany (a former PhD student) is the most-cited paper in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America over the 20 month period from January 2015 to August 2016.
- Dr. Tom Doyle is working with NASA to improve deep space medicine!
- Three of our 2011 graduates have evolved their capstone project into a consumer ready product! "Ollinfit" is a wearable personal trainer system that analyses form, and provides live audio & vibration feedback. They are now live with a Kickstarter campaign, and need our help to get this product "out there", so please check out this link! Congratulations Hani Abidi, Hendrik Poernama, and Ibadat Bambrah - and good luck!
- Dr. Steve Hranilovic has been awarded the title of University Scholar! He has been recognized by his peers as being a pioneer and a global ambassador in the field of optical wireless communication systems. Congratulations Steve!
- Congratulations to Simon Haykin for being selected as the recipient of the IEEE's highest award for educational activities - the 2016 IEEE James H. Mulligan, Jr. Education Medal. Dr. Haykin has provided outstanding education to generations of undergraduate and graduate students through his renowned text books & engaging lectures.
- Hoda Rezaee Kaviani, an ECE PhD student supervised by Dr. Shirani, won 2nd place in the Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition at the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (one of the world's premier conferences in this field). Congratulations Hoda!
- Congratulations to Dr. Natalia Nikolova! She has received significant funding from NATO for her exciting research in the area of concealed weapons detection!
- Dr. Nicola Nicolici has been awarded an NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement. This prestigious award is in recognition of his outstanding research program in "post-silicon" validation methods for VLSI systems. Congratulations!
- Dr. Ali Emadi and the MacAUTO team have been awarded $4.4M to develop a Virtual Electric and Hybrid Electric Powertrain Integration Laboratory. Congratulations to the team for this outstanding achievement!
Congratulations to Dr. Natalia Nikolova for being inducted as Fellow into the Canadian Academy of Engineering. Natalia was recognized for her outstanding contributions to the global advancement of the theory and applications of microwave engineering. Her pioneering work on response sensitivity analysis has significantly enabled the design optimization of electromagnetic simulation software. Her innovations in microwave imaging and detection have enabled applications in medical diagnostics and security systems and are expected to facilitate similar important benefits. Professor Nikolova has a long record of outstanding service in promoting the Canadian engineering profession here and abroad, as well as promoting the engineering profession among women.
- Two graduands of our Electrical and Biomedical Engineering program have been selected to receive the President's Award of Excellence in Student Leadership! This is recognition of their outstanding contributions to McMaster and our broader community. Congratulations to Janelle Hinds and Ben Kinsella!
- Dr. Jamal Deen has achieved the highest level of excellence at McMaster - a Distinguished University Professorship. Congratulations Jamal!
- Dr. Jamal Deen has been elected as member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts. He becomes only the 11th Canadian to have received this honour. Congratulations!
- In recognition of his "demonstrated leadership, innovative pedagogical practices, and distinctive commitment to advancing the improvement of teaching and learning", Tom Doyle has been selected as a 2015 Impact Fellow by the McMaster Institute for Innovation and Excellence in Teaching and Learning (MIIETL). This award will support Tom's development of evidence-based high-impact educational innovations. Congratulations!
- Striving for innovation through excellence, we have professors who are world-changers!
- We are thrilled to announce that the winner of the Chancellor's Gold Medal this year is Dickson Wong (4th year Electrical & Biomedical Engineering). This award is granted to McMaster's undergraduate student in his or her final year who ranks highest in scholarship, leadership and influence. An outstanding achievement! Congratulations!!
- Dr. Ali Emadi has been selected as the founding Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transaction on Transportation Electrification (TTE). This is the flagship journal of the IEEE Transportation Electrification Initiative.
- The Faculty of Engineering has chosen Dr. Nicola Nicolici as "Distinguished Engineering Educator". Congratulations Nicola on this wonderful recognition!
- Three Engineering professors have been recognized by the Faculty as "Distinguished Engineering Professors" - and two of these three are in ECE! Congratulations to Dr. Xiaolin Wu and Dr. Thia Kirubarajan!
- We have some exceptional educators in our department! Based on the undergraduate teaching evaluations, the following instructors are on the Dean's Teaching Honour Roll: Dr. Shiva Kumar (Eng 2MM3), Dr. Max Wong (Elec Eng 4TK4), for 2 courses Dr. Nicola Nicolici (Comp Eng 3DQ5 and Comp Eng 4DS4), and both Dr. Steve Hranilovic and Dr. Xun Li for Elec Eng 4OI6. Congratulations to you all!
- Dr. Shahram Shirani has been inducted as a Faculty Leadership Fellow under the Faculty of Engineering's new Faculty Leadership Program. Congratulations Shahram!
- TI Day @ Mac! Our 5th annual Texas Instruments workshop event is being held on Saturday September 24, 2016.
- Current Undergrads - it's time to plan next year's courses! Please refer to our "Current Undergrads" pages for help enrolling. Attention BioMed students: to register in Hlth Sci 2L03 or Hlth Sci 2LL3 you must register in Hlth Sci 1BS0 first.
- The ECE Department is seeking outstanding candidates for a tenure-track faculty position at the interface of electrical and biomedical engineering.
- Interested in racing an electric car? Mac Formula Electric team invites students to join them in designing, building & racing an electric car.
- ECES (Electrical & Computer Engineering Society) and IEEE Student Branch (Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers) plan great activities for the academic year! Check out these and other student clubs/teams through the "Student Groups" link on the right.
- Future students & their families are being welcomed to campus for the annual university-wide Open House "May @ Mac" on Saturday May 7! Come visit us between 10:00 - 3:00, in ITB-A113. You'll easily find us in the very corner of campus - at Main St West & Cootes Drive.
- ECE Expo 2016 - Friday April 8, from 9:00-4:00, in the CIBC Hall in MUSC. This annual event showcases the design projects our final year students have developed. Check out our amazing students!
- Engineering & Science Olympics will be held on October 8, 2015. High school students from all across Ontario will be on campus to tackle problems by way of games. Undergrads are welcome to volunteer at this fun annual event!