News & Events
- Congratulations to Anuja Goyal, Aditi Chemparathy and Akalvizhy Elanko, whose fourth year design project "Neotrace" won the Greatest Commercial Potential Award at the McMaster Innovation Showcase Poster Competition. NeoTrace is an inexpensive movement monitoring system for neonates in Neonatal Intensive Care Units.
- We are pleased to announce that McMaster's Formula Hybrid student team received the First Place GM Best Engineered Hybrid Systems Award at the 2013 Formula Hybrid International Competition, which was held at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway from April 29 - May 2. The team also received the IEEE Engineering the Future Award, and several other awards. Congratulations to the team!
- Dr. Wei-Ping Huang has been selected to be the next Dean of the School of Information Science and Technology at Shandong University in China (his alma mater). He will also be serving as Chief Scientist of HiSense Co. Dr. Huang has been a faculty member in the ECE Department for 14 years. With hearty congratulations, we wish Dr. Huang all the best!
- It is our pleasure to announce that John Bandler has been selected as the recipient of the 2013 Microwave Career Award from the IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society. This award recognizes an individual for a career of meritorious achievement and outstanding technical contribution in the field of microwave theory and techniques.
- Ali Emadi has been named as a 2013 ISI Highly Cited Researcher in the field of engineering. Congratualtions Ali!
- An interdisciplinary team of McMaster students has been selected as one of only 8 finalist teams to participate in the prestigious 2013 International Future Energy Challenge. The team, supervised by Professor Ali Emadi, includes ECE students Haizhong Ye (PhD student), Adam Kliber (Undergraduate), Kavya Divakaria (Masters), Rex Zhang (Undergraduate), Haoyu Li (Undergraduate), and Parampreet Toor (Masters). The major sponsor of the team is the Canada Excellence Research Chair in Hybrid Powertrain Program. Final competition will take place on July 18-19 in Columbus, Ohio, USA. Congratulations to all involved!
- Professor Jamal Deen has been awarded the Faculty of Engineering Research Achievement Award for 2013. Congratulations Jamal!
- The department is pleased to announce that Dr. Ali Emadi has been elevated to IEEE Fellow for "contributions to electric power conversion and control for electric and hybrid vehicles". Congratulations Ali!
- We are excited to announce that an interdisciplinary research team consisting of members of the ECE Department, members of the Department of Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour, and VitaSound Audio Inc. have won the 2012 Mind to Market Award from the Ontario Centres of Excellence for their neuro-compensator algorithm for hearing aids. We congratulate the academic members of the team: Sue Becker, Simon Haykin, Ian Bruce and Laurel Trainor, and the leadership of VitaSound, especially CEO Gora Ganguli.
- McMaster's Innovation Showcase recognized Dr. Simon Haykin with the Lifetime Innovator Award. Dr. Haykin was honoured for his work inventing the field of cognitive radio. Congratulations!
- Dr. Tim Davidson has been appointed as the new Chair of the ECE Department! His new post commences July 1, 2012, for a period of 5 years. Congratulations!
- May @ Mac - McMaster's annual Open House. Saturday May 11, 2013, from 9:00 - 2:00. We welcome potential students and their families to come see what ECE has to offer! ITB-A113 - right on the corner of campus (Main St.W @ Cootes Drive)
- Poster Day was a great success! Congratulations to all students involved - the projects were of a very high standard! The results of the competition are... for Electrical Eng: 1st=BLADES, 2nd=ElectroCruiser, 3rd=People Counting with IR camera; Computer Eng: 1st=Cartographer CNC System, 2nd = iEYE, 3rd = Lecture Me; and for BioMedical Eng: 1st=Hands-free Accessibiity Computer Interface, 2nd=Brain Computer Interface for Wheelchair Control, 3rd=Neotrace.
- "From Creativity to Success via Risk and Setback: An Insider's Perspective". Speaker: Dr. John Bandler. Thurs April 11, 2013. 4:00-5:30 in ITB-137. Admission is free. Refreshments provided. All are welcome. RSVP here.
- Poster Day! Wed April 10, 2013. Every year ECE's final year undergrad students display and demonstrate their capstone course projects. This exciting event is open to everyone, and admission is free. Drop in to the CIBC Hall (3rd floor in MUSC) between 9:00-4:00pm.
- Innovation Nation - Conference & Robotics Competition. July 8 and 9, 2013 in Hamilton.
- Level One students will soon be selecting their programs for next year. The ECE department Information Sessions will be held on Mon March 11 (Comp & Elec), and Wed March 13 (BioMed). These sessions begin with a presentation at 5:00pm in ITB-AB102 then move to ITB-A113 from 6:00-7:30pm for Q&A chat time. Level 1 students are encouraged to come get information about what the ECE department offers. Faculty members & current students will be there to answer questions.
- ECE faculty, staff and Grad students had their Trim The Tree party on Thursday Dec 6. Our holiday wreath is also hanging on the dept office door, adorned with unique ECE-related items! Thanks to all those who helped make our tree beautiful!
- Congratulations to ECE student Jacob Hopper and the Mac Marauders football team for winning 21 games in a row! Winning the Yates Cup on Nov 10 with a score of 30-13, and then The Mitchell Bowl on Nov 17 with a score of 45-6.
- The Faculty of Engineering's Formula Hybrid Car Team invites ECE students to join the team designing, building & racing the hybrid car. It'll look great on your CV! Please contact Sean at firstname.lastname@example.org
Connect with ECE
Find out about the many Engineering activities:
McMaster Engineering Society!
ECE Student Groups!
What are the "Red Suits"?
Download the ECE Brochure
If you are an undergrad and have questions, check the Current Undergrads page, the UG Advising page, or the FAQ's page for all of your answers.