News & Events
- Congratulations to Simon Haykin for being selected as the recipient of the IEEE's highest award for educational activities - the 2016 IEEE James H. Mulligan, Jr. Education Medal. Dr. Haykin has provided outstanding education to generations of undergraduate and graduate students through his renowned text books & engaging lectures.
- Hoda Rezaee Kaviani, an ECE PhD student supervised by Dr. Shirani, won 2nd place in the Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition at the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (one of the world's premier conferences in this field). Congratulations Hoda!
- A gold medal in the 2015 Pan-Am Games has been awarded to a recent alumnus of ECE for his efforts in the Team Sprint track cycling event. Congratulations Joseph Veloce!
- McMaster's ECO Car team has had outstanding success in the recent ECO Car Competitions in the US. Congratulations!
- Congratulations to Dr. Natalia Nikolova! She has received significant funding from NATO for her exciting research in the area of concealed weapons detection!
- Dr. Nicola Nicolici has been awarded an NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement. This prestigious award is in recognition of his outstanding research program in "post-silicon" validation methods for VLSI systems. Congratulations!
- Dr. Ali Emadi and the MacAUTO team have been awarded $4.4M to develop a Virtual Electric and Hybrid Electric Powertrain Integration Laboratory. Congratulations to the team for this outstanding achievement!
Congratulations to Dr. Natalia Nikolova for being inducted as Fellow into the Canadian Academy of Engineering. Natalia was recognized for her outstanding contributions to the global advancement of the theory and applications of microwave engineering. Her pioneering work on response sensitivity analysis has significantly enabled the design optimization of electromagnetic simulation software. Her innovations in microwave imaging and detection have enabled applications in medical diagnostics and security systems and are expected to facilitate similar important benefits. Professor Nikolova has a long record of outstanding service in promoting the Canadian engineering profession here and abroad, as well as promoting the engineering profession among women.
- Two graduands of our Electrical and Biomedical Engineering program have been selected to receive the President's Award of Excellence in Student Leadership! This is recognition of their outstanding contributions to McMaster and our broader community. Congratulations to Janelle Hinds and Ben Kinsella!
- Congratulations to the McMaster Formula Hybrid Team on their success in the 2015 Formula Hybrid Competition held at the New Hampshire Speedway in April 2015. The team received the GM Best Engineered Hybrid System Award, and the IEEE Engineering the Future Award, and were second overall! An outstanding achievment by a truly interdisciplinary team.
- Dr. Jamal Deen has achieved the highest level of excellence at McMaster - a Distinguished University Professorship. Congratulations Jamal!
- Dr. Jamal Deen has been elected as member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts. He becomes only the 11th Canadian to have received this honour. Congratulations!
- In recognition of his "demonstrated leadership, innovative pedagogical practices, and distinctive commitment to advancing the improvement of teaching and learning", Tom Doyle has been selected as a 2015 Impact Fellow by the McMaster Institute for Innovation and Excellence in Teaching and Learning (MIIETL). This award will support Tom's development of evidence-based high-impact educational innovations. Congratulations!
- Striving for innovation through excellence, we have professors who are world-changers!
- We are thrilled to announce that the winner of the Chancellor's Gold Medal this year is Dickson Wong (4th year Electrical & Biomedical Engineering). This award is granted to McMaster's undergraduate student in his or her final year who ranks highest in scholarship, leadership and influence. An outstanding achievement! Congratulations!!
- Dr. Ali Emadi has been selected as the founding Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transaction on Transportation Electrification (TTE). This is the flagship journal of the IEEE Transportation Electrification Initiative.
- The Faculty of Engineering has chosen Dr. Nicola Nicolici as "Distinguished Engineering Educator". Congratulations Nicola on this wonderful recognition!
- Three Engineering professors have been recognized by the Faculty as "Distinguished Engineering Professors" - and two of these three are in ECE! Congratulations to Dr. Xiaolin Wu and Dr. Thia Kirubarajan!
- We have some exceptional educators in our department! Based on the undergraduate teaching evaluations, the following instructors are on the Dean's Teaching Honour Roll: Dr. Shiva Kumar (Eng 2MM3), Dr. Max Wong (Elec Eng 4TK4), for 2 courses Dr. Nicola Nicolici (Comp Eng 3DQ5 and Comp Eng 4DS4), and both Dr. Steve Hranilovic and Dr. Xun Li for Elec Eng 4OI6. Congratulations to you all!
- Dr. Shahram Shirani has been inducted as a Faculty Leadership Fellow under the Faculty of Engineering's new Faculty Leadership Program. Congratulations Shahram!