News & Events
- Dr. Mike Noseworthy, along with Jeff Fortuna (a fromer post-doc), Alyaa Elzibak (a PhD student), Zhaoyang Fan (a former Masters student), and John MacGregor (a former member of the Department of Chemical Engineering), has been awarded the 2013 Kowalski prize for the "Best Application Paper" published in the Journal of Chemometrics in 2011 and 2012 for a paper entitled "Liver functional magnetic resonance imaging analysis using a latent variables approach". Congratulations to all!
- Chrysler has partnered with the McMaster Automotive Resource Centre (MARC) to develop high-performance electric and hybrid powertrains at our Longwood Road facility.
- A new building for Engineering! Construction is expected to take place Spring 2015 to July 2016 for the ExCEL Building - Engineering Centre of Experimental Learning. Thanks to many financial donors, including alumnus Gerald Hatch who gifted the final $3 million.
- Dr. Mike Noseworthy received the President's Award for Excellence in Graduate Supervision at the 17th Annual Graduate Students Recognition Day on Sept 6, 2013. Congratulations Mike!
- Dr. Steve Hranilovic, the Associate Chair of ECE, is featured in an article on deep space laser communication in the September 2013 issue of IEEE Spectrum! Congratulations!
- Dr. Tom Doyle has been awarded a 2013 President's Award for Outstanding Contributions to Teaching & Learning! The award recognizes Tom's development of a "cornerstone" first year project to complement the 4th year capstone project, and his work on assessing the impact of that course. Congratulations Tom!
- Two Honorary Degrees are being presented by the Faculty of Engineering at this year's Convocation (June 12, 2013). Both recipients are ECE alumni! Chandra Kudsia (a world leader in engineering technologies for satellite communication and aeronautics) and Robert Walker (president and chief executive officer of Atomic Energy Canada Limited). The ECE Department is very proud of the achievements of these two highly successful engineers - they are truly an inspiration! Congratulations to Chandra and Robert!
- Graduate student Sina Naderi Shahi won the Best Student Paper award at the Photonic North Conference, held in Ottawa June 2-5, 2013. Congratulations Sina!
- Walter Butler, who in 1970 became McMaster's first student to graduate with a PhD in Electrical Engineering, has been inducted into the McMaster Alumni Gallery (an award conferred upon those who have proven themselves to be leaders, innovators, contributors and global citizens). Walter is co-holder of 30 patents and has published more than 30 technical papers. Congratulations Walter!
- Congratulations to Anuja Goyal, Aditi Chemparathy and Akalvizhy Elanko, whose fourth year design project "Neotrace" won the Greatest Commercial Potential Award at the McMaster Innovation Showcase Poster Competition. NeoTrace is an inexpensive movement monitoring system for neonates in Neonatal Intensive Care Units.
- We are pleased to announce that McMaster's Formula Hybrid student team received the First Place GM Best Engineered Hybrid Systems Award at the 2013 Formula Hybrid International Competition, which was held at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway from April 29 - May 2. The team also received the IEEE Engineering the Future Award, and several other awards. Congratulations to the team!
- Dr. Wei-Ping Huang has been selected to be the next Dean of the School of Information Science and Technology at Shandong University in China (his alma mater). He will also be serving as Chief Scientist of HiSense Co. Dr. Huang has been a faculty member in the ECE Department for 14 years. With hearty congratulations, we wish Dr. Huang all the best!
- It is our pleasure to announce that John Bandler has been selected as the recipient of the 2013 Microwave Career Award from the IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society. This award recognizes an individual for a career of meritorious achievement and outstanding technical contribution in the field of microwave theory and techniques.
- Ali Emadi has been named as a 2013 ISI Highly Cited Researcher in the field of engineering. Congratualtions Ali!
Connect with ECE
See us on Flickr!
Find out about the many Engineering activities:
McMaster Engineering Society!
ECE Student Groups!
What are the "Red Suits"?
Download the ECE Brochure
If you are an undergrad and have questions, check the Current Undergrads page, the UG Advising page, or the FAQ's page for all of your answers.