News & Events
- Congratulations to faculty members Dr. Steve Hranilovic and Dr. Thia Kirubarajan for being awarded NSERC Discovery Accelerator Grants. These grants have been awarded in recognition of their global leadership in their respective areas of wireless optical communications, and estimation, tracking and fusion. As many of you will know, Steve and Kiruba are not only leaders their fields of research, they have also made outstanding contributions to our community through their leadership of our undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Congratulations to the final year project group "The sKan", for their wins at the Forge@Mac's Student StartUp Competition on March 23, 2017. Rotimi Fadiya pitched on behalf of the group (Michael Takla, Prateek Mathur and Shivad Bhavsar), taking home the People's Choice Award and the Emerging Leader Award (each a $5000 prize!). Two weeks later, at ECE Expo, The sKan won another prize - 3rd place in the Electrical & Biomedical Engineering design project category.
- Electrical Engineering student Alison Bayzat is a very dyanmic young woman! In celebration of International Women's Day, the faculty featured 5 top women undergrads to watch.
- A number of ECE students are involved in an exciting project to launch a satellite into space! McMaster Neudose is a team of undergrad students in the faculties of Science and Engineering. They are designing, fabricating and launching a satellite into low Earth orbit to study human health. The NEUtron DOSimetry & Exploration (NEUDOSE) mission aims to further understanding of long-term exposure to space radiation by investigating how charged and neutral particles contribute to the human equivalent dose during LEO missions. Follow their work on Facebook, or support them on their website.
- Congratulations Dr. John Bandler for being appointed Officer of the Order of Canada (O.C.) by the Governor General. This appointment recognizes his scientific contributions that have helped position Canada at the forefront of microwave engineering. Dr. Bandler is an ECE Professor Emeritus, and a former Dean of Engineering at McMaster. Video here (dated Feb 17 2017). Photographs here and here (photo credit: Sgt Johanie Maheu, Rideau Hall, OSGG. © OSGG, 2017)
- Congratulations to Dr. Ali Emadi for being named Fellow of National Academy of Inventors! This high professional distinction is awarded to global leaders of academic invention.
- ECE's Professor Hubert de Bruin has served McMaster for 40 years. Our Chair Tim Davidson thanks Hubert on behalf of the department, for such an extraordinary contribution to the University, and for his outstanding contributions to the development of our original Electrical and Biomedical Engineering program and the new, faculty-wide, Integrated Biomedical Engineering and Health Sciences program (IBEHS). Congratulations Hubert!
- Congratulations to Comp Eng Level 3 student Ezzeldin Tahoun and the Mac ACM team members for great results in the 2016 International Collegiate Programming Competition. Mac ACM (Association of Computer Machinery) had 3 teams competing at this elite undergrad programming competition, ranking 3rd in Canada and 7th in Central North America!
- Dr. Natalia Nikolova is in the news for her technical advances in weapon detection systems.
- A paper written by Dr. Ian Bruce, Laurel Carney (Adjunct Professor) and Muhammad Zilany (a former PhD student) is the most-cited paper in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America over the 20 month period from January 2015 to August 2016.
- Dr. Tom Doyle is working with NASA to improve deep space medicine!
- Three of our 2011 graduates have evolved their capstone project into a consumer ready product! "Ollinfit" is a wearable personal trainer system that analyses form, and provides live audio & vibration feedback. They are now live with a Kickstarter campaign, and need our help to get this product "out there", so please check out this link! Congratulations Hani Abidi, Hendrik Poernama, and Ibadat Bambrah - and good luck!
- Dr. Steve Hranilovic has been awarded the title of University Scholar! He has been recognized by his peers as being a pioneer and a global ambassador in the field of optical wireless communication systems. Congratulations Steve!
- Congratulations to Simon Haykin for being selected as the recipient of the IEEE's highest award for educational activities - the 2016 IEEE James H. Mulligan, Jr. Education Medal. Dr. Haykin has provided outstanding education to generations of undergraduate and graduate students through his renowned text books & engaging lectures.
- Hoda Rezaee Kaviani, an ECE PhD student supervised by Dr. Shirani, won 2nd place in the Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition at the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (one of the world's premier conferences in this field). Congratulations Hoda!
- Congratulations to Dr. Natalia Nikolova! She has received significant funding from NATO for her exciting research in the area of concealed weapons detection!
- Dr. Nicola Nicolici has been awarded an NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement. This prestigious award is in recognition of his outstanding research program in "post-silicon" validation methods for VLSI systems. Congratulations!
- Dr. Ali Emadi and the MacAUTO team have been awarded $4.4M to develop a Virtual Electric and Hybrid Electric Powertrain Integration Laboratory. Congratulations to the team for this outstanding achievement!
Congratulations to Dr. Natalia Nikolova for being inducted as Fellow into the Canadian Academy of Engineering. Natalia was recognized for her outstanding contributions to the global advancement of the theory and applications of microwave engineering. Her pioneering work on response sensitivity analysis has significantly enabled the design optimization of electromagnetic simulation software. Her innovations in microwave imaging and detection have enabled applications in medical diagnostics and security systems and are expected to facilitate similar important benefits. Professor Nikolova has a long record of outstanding service in promoting the Canadian engineering profession here and abroad, as well as promoting the engineering profession among women.
- Two graduands of our Electrical and Biomedical Engineering program have been selected to receive the President's Award of Excellence in Student Leadership! This is recognition of their outstanding contributions to McMaster and our broader community. Congratulations to Janelle Hinds and Ben Kinsella!
- Dr. Jamal Deen has achieved the highest level of excellence at McMaster - a Distinguished University Professorship. Congratulations Jamal!
- Dr. Jamal Deen has been elected as member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts. He becomes only the 11th Canadian to have received this honour. Congratulations!
- In recognition of his "demonstrated leadership, innovative pedagogical practices, and distinctive commitment to advancing the improvement of teaching and learning", Tom Doyle has been selected as a 2015 Impact Fellow by the McMaster Institute for Innovation and Excellence in Teaching and Learning (MIIETL). This award will support Tom's development of evidence-based high-impact educational innovations. Congratulations!
- Striving for innovation through excellence, we have professors who are world-changers!
- We are thrilled to announce that the winner of the Chancellor's Gold Medal this year is Dickson Wong (4th year Electrical & Biomedical Engineering). This award is granted to McMaster's undergraduate student in his or her final year who ranks highest in scholarship, leadership and influence. An outstanding achievement! Congratulations!!
- Dr. Ali Emadi has been selected as the founding Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transaction on Transportation Electrification (TTE). This is the flagship journal of the IEEE Transportation Electrification Initiative.
- The Faculty of Engineering has chosen Dr. Nicola Nicolici as "Distinguished Engineering Educator". Congratulations Nicola on this wonderful recognition!
- Three Engineering professors have been recognized by the Faculty as "Distinguished Engineering Professors" - and two of these three are in ECE! Congratulations to Dr. Xiaolin Wu and Dr. Thia Kirubarajan!
- We have some exceptional educators in our department! Based on the undergraduate teaching evaluations, the following instructors are on the Dean's Teaching Honour Roll: Dr. Shiva Kumar (Eng 2MM3), Dr. Max Wong (Elec Eng 4TK4), for 2 courses Dr. Nicola Nicolici (Comp Eng 3DQ5 and Comp Eng 4DS4), and both Dr. Steve Hranilovic and Dr. Xun Li for Elec Eng 4OI6. Congratulations to you all!
- Dr. Shahram Shirani has been inducted as a Faculty Leadership Fellow under the Faculty of Engineering's new Faculty Leadership Program. Congratulations Shahram!
- Future students & their families are being welcomed to campus for the annual university-wide Open House "May @ Mac" on Saturday May 13. Come visit us between 10:00 - 3:00, in ITB-A113. You'll easily find us in the very corner of campus - at Main St West & Cootes Drive.
- ECE Expo 2017 - Thurs April 6, from 9:00-4:00, in the CIBC Hall of MUSC. This annual event, open to the public, showcases the design projects our final year students have developed. Check out our amazing students!
- On March 27, ECE will be holding our annual Information Session for Level 1 students to learn more about our programs.
- In April, the Level 1 Engineering students will choose what program they would like to enter. To help them, the Faculty of Engineering is holding the Level 1 Information Fair on Thursday February 16 in ETB. Shortly after that, ECE and all departments will be holding their own Information Sessions. Stay tuned for details on ours!
- Big news! McMaster will be offering a new undergraduate program: Integrated Biomedical Engineering and Health Sciences (IBEHS) program! Click here to learn more about Biomedical engineering from our Dean of Engineering.
- Fall Preview - an Open House event of interest to potential Engineering students. Saturday October 29 and Saturday November 19, from 10:00-3:00, in the main lobby of JHE.
- Engineering & Science Olympics is on Thursday October 19 this year. High school students from all across Ontario will be on campus to tackle problems through playing games. Thank you to all the undergrad students who have volunteered to help run this event. ECE's competition is the Egg High Drop - you can find us on the main floor of ETB. CHCH TV coverage here.
- TI Day @ Mac! Our 5th annual Texas Instruments workshop event is being held on Saturday September 24, 2016.
- Current Undergrads - it's time to plan next year's courses! Please refer to our "Current Undergrads" pages for help enrolling. Attention BioMed students: to register in Hlth Sci 2L03 or Hlth Sci 2LL3 you must register in Hlth Sci 1BS0 first.
- The ECE Department is seeking outstanding candidates for a tenure-track faculty position at the interface of electrical and biomedical engineering.
- Interested in racing an electric car? Mac Formula Electric team invites students to join them in designing, building & racing an electric car.
- ECES (Electrical & Computer Engineering Society) and IEEE Student Branch (Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers) plan great activities for the academic year! Check out these and other student clubs/teams through the "Student Groups" link on the right.