Please read the following information and FAQs prior to contacting the department.
If your question is not answered on this page, please direct your inquiry to ECE's UG Administrative Assistant. Email is the most efficient method of service. Provide:
- your first & last names
- your Student/Person ID number
- your Level and Program (include "CoOp", "Mgmt" or "Society" if applicable)
- a relative Subject Line (i.e. "Conflict between * and * "), along with your name
- details of your question (oftentimes a problem is the result of a failed course, so please inform us if that is the case).
- attaching a copy of your Academic Advisement Report or Unofficial Transcript will assist a quick answer.
ALWAYS use the full course code (example: Comp Eng 3DR4).
Completing your degree requirements:
- Two things assist you in obtaining the necessary courses and credits to graduate - your Academic Advisement Report, and the Undergraduate Calendar from the year you started your program (not the current year Calendar). Follow those! Further information about Electives can be found here.
- If you have any concern with your Academic Advisement Report, or need help with your degree requirements, please contact Sally Williams in the Associate Dean of Engineering's office.
- If you wish to speak to someone regarding your program or courses, please contact your Program Advisor for an appointment:
Electrical Engineering Advisors: Dr. Peter Smith , Dr. JK Zhang , Dr. Terry Todd
Computer Engineering Advisors: Fall Term = Dr. Ted Szymanski, Winter Term = Dr. Sorina Dumitrescu
Biomedical Engineering Advisors: Fall Term = Dr. Mike Noseworthy, Winter Term = Dr. Ian Bruce
Enrolling & Schedules:
- Enrol in June! Leaving it late may mean you can't get into a course you want, or a section you want, or perhaps you'll have some conflicts to deal with!
- Look for all sections being offered by clicking on the "View All" or "Next Page" buttons.
- If you find that a Required course is full contact the department administrator immediately!
- Sometimes more than 1 request has to be submitted (i.e. an Overload Request does not include either a Permission or Conflict approval, and a Conflict approval does not include a prerequisite waiver).
Conflicts: Check the possibility of getting into a different section to eliminate the conflict. If you have a schedule conflict with 2 Required courses, please contact the department. If you have a conflict that involves an Elective, you must find one that fits into your Personal Schedule. If you have a conflict that cannot be resolved by the above, complete the ECE Conflict form and follow the ECE process.
Overloads: If you wish to take more than the maximum number of units in a Term (according to your Academic Advisement Report), you may request an Overload. This involves 2 forms (below) and 2 supporting documents (transcript and Academic Advising Report). Overloading is not always allowed - it may be denied if it is not in your best interest.
Permission: When permission is required to enroll in a course, you must submit your request to the department that offers the course (please refer to their website for their process).
Prerequisites: If you do not have a prerequisite for a course, you may request permission to take the course without the prerequisite (waive the prerequisite). You must justify why you should be allowed to take that course without the required prior knowledge. Please complete & follow the ECE Permission form.
Exception to Permission / Prerequisite process - Comp Eng 3DQ5: To request Permission to take this course, please email the instructor directly (email@example.com), explaining your situation. Attach your unofficial transcript so he can assess your academic background. No form is required.
4th year individual research project courses (4OH4/4OJ4/4OK4): if you wish to take an individual research project course please submit a Permission request form along with your transcript to the instructor of your choice. The two of you are to discuss the nature of the project and the goals for the course. Once a plan is in place, the instructor will complete the request process. If you meet the eligibility requirements, your request will be fully authorized by the instructor, and submitted to the UG Admin Assistant for uploading. If you are not on the Dean's Honour List, the instructor would need to seek further approval from the Associate Chair of the Department before final processing.
Processing Time: Requests pass through the hands of 2-5 people, some of whom may be on vacation in the summer months, so please allow time for processing! We will process your request as soon as possible. You will receive an email as soon as your request has finished it's process.
Advising forms used in the ECE department:
Permissions Form to obtain Permission for a prerequisite to be waived or consent to take a course
Engineering Permission Form for overload (the ECE Overload Request form below is also required)
ECE Overload Request to be completed in addition to the above Engineering Permission Form when requesting an overload
Course Conflict form - the student is to carefully complete the top section, then obtain authorization from both instructors involved. (This can be done in person, or by emailing the form to the instructors, and requesting that it be returned to the student.) The completed form/s are then to be submitted to the ECE Dept Office (ITB-A111) for final processing (in person will be faster than email).
Other Engineering Forms
McMaster Student Absence